Sony HAP-S1/B Details
- Hi-Res Music Playback
- 500GB Hard Drive for music playback
- 40-watt x 2 Class AB amplifier
- Analog FIR Filters
- Digital Sound Enhancement Engine
- Wi-Fi Built-in
- HDD Audio Remote app for iOS and Android phones and tablets
- Expandable storage via USB
- Music transfer software
- Large power source block capacitor
- High-rigidity chassis structure
— Sean Killebrew, HomeTheaterReview.com
Step up to High-Resolution Audio
Just as HDTV and now 4K have revolutionized our television viewing with huge leaps in picture quality, High-Resolution Audio is doing the same for music. If you’re wondering if your ears really need it, just ask your eyes if they’re willing to go back to old, standard definition TV.
High-Res Audio, which is typically referred to as “96kHz/24-bit” or something higher, is made by digitally sampling an original analog audio source. The number of times at which sampling is performed (in one-second increments) is called the sampling frequency, which is expressed in hertz or “Hz”. Digitizing refers to the audio process where the sampled signal is converted (or quantized) into binary digits, consisting of 1s and 0s, and expressed as “bits”. The higher the number of bits, the closer the sample is to the original source. CDs are standardized at 44.1kHz/16-bit, but there is no single standard for High-Resolution Audio.
An alternative way of digitizing an analog source is a method called DSD (Direct Stream Digital), which captures sound information as a sequence of single-bit values with an extremely high sampling rate of either 2.8MHz or 5.6MHz. This is approximately 64 or 128 times the sampling rate of CD audio and is simply known as DSD 2.8MHz or DSD 5.6MHz. Some engineers believe this is the closest a digital file sample can get to an original analog source.
File Formats/Lossless Coding
Several companies and working groups have developed different file formats for Hi-Res Audio. Here is a list of formats currently available:
- DSD (DFF): Direct Stream Digital-DFF is the professional, uncompressed 1-bit format used in recording and mastering Super Audio CDs.
- DSD (DSF): Direct Stream Digital-DSF represents a PC-friendly version of 1-bit DSD used to burn files onto DVD.
- WAV: The Waveform Audio File Format captures music as uncompressed, linear PCM and is a mainstay of computer audio.
- AIFF: The Audio Interchange File Format also records uncompressed, linear PCM and was developed by Apple.
- FLAC: The Free Lossless Audio Codec saves space by compressing files while maintaining 100% bit-for-bit accuracy during playback.
- ALAC: The Apple Lossless Audio Codec also maintains 100% bit-for-bit accuracy while saving storage space.
|Sub Title||500GB Hi-Res Music Player System|
|Shipping Offer||AUTHORIZED DEALER - FULL WARRANTY - FREE SHIPPING|
- Line Out : Yes (1)
- Coaxial : Yes (1)
- Analog Audio In : Yes (2 in)
- Opt. In : Yes (1 in)
- Other : Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n) USB (1 type A rear) for optional external HDD Ethernet (1000BASE-T/ 100BASE-TX/ 10BASE-T)
- Headphone Out : Yes (1)
- Pin Jack Color : Gold
- Output Power (JEITA 10% 1kHz 4Ω) : 40W + 40W
(4Ohms 20-20kHz) THD : 10%
4Ohms 20-20kHz : 32W + 32W
- Amplifier Type : Analog
- Power Requirements : 120V 60Hz
- Power Consumption : 80W
- Auto Standby : Yes
- Number of Amp channels : 2
- Power on Resume : Yes
- Speaker Impedance : 4-16ohm
- Sleep Timer : Yes
- GUI Language : Japanese, English, French, German, Spanish
- Power Consumption (Stand By) : 0.3W
- DSEE LED : Yes
- Frequency Characteristics : 10Hz - 100KHz (+0dB, -3dB)
- Detachable AC : Yes
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio(A Network) (When all of EQ/Surround off) : 100dB
- Tone Control : Yes (front - bass / treble)
- Speaker Terminal : Screw
- Volume Normalization On/Off : Auto/ Off
- LCD Off Mode : Yes
- LCD : Yes (4.3 in)
- Internal HDD : Yes (500GB)
- Gracenote : Yes
- Gapless Playback : Yes
- External HDD : Yes (Rear USB) (optional)
- Metadata Generation / Acquisition : Yes
- Pre-install Contents : Yes
- PC Sync (Music/Video/Photo) : Music
- Access Control : Yes
- Network Standby : Yes
- Network Update : Yes
- Internet Music Service : vTuner
- Dimensions (Approx.) : Receiver: 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 12 in (265 x 88 x 304 mm) Carton: 13 1/8 x 8 1/4 x 14 3/4 in (333 x 209 x 373 mm)
- Weight (Approx.) : Receiver: 12 lbs 5/8 oz (5.8 kg) Gross: 15 lbs 7/8 oz (7 kg)