Astell & Kern AK380 Details
Astell&Kern AK380 Portable MQS System: Now the sound of Pro Audio is available for everyone
- 32bit 284kHz Bit to Bit playback
- Native DSD (up to 5.6 MHz) playback
- Parametric EQ with 20-band 0.1dB
- 200 Femto Second VCXO Reference Clock
- Scalable Amp
- DLNA-based AK connect App
- Metal Touch Sensor Home Button
The Astell&Kern AK380 offers the most authentic sound from any digital music format, with enhanced features that are sought-after by audio professionals and laymen alike.
32-bit 384kHz bit-to-bit playback
All of the AK380's circuit design including the digital-to-analog converter (DAC) are ready for 32-bit processing to handle 32-bit music natively.
Other products have traditionally used sample rate converter (SRC) method down sampling for playback. However, the AK380 is capable of playing back 32-bit, 384 kHz original sound without any down sampling.
The result is the AK380 plays up to 32-bit, 384 kHz, any 24-bit music files, or double layer DSD 5.6MHz natively, without conversion or compression.
PEQ (Parametric EQ)
A parametric equlizer was implemented in the AK380 to deliver detailed adjustment of the original sound, and an audio digital signal processor (DSP) was added to aid in this process.
This frees up CPU cycles previously needed for calculating graphic equalizers (GEQ) to 20-band + / - 0.1 dB to more precisely adjust the frequency and gain (dB) as well as more accurately specifying the frequency range via Q value adjustments.
Equipped with a Femto Clock to deliver true original sound
Astell&Kern implemented a voltage-controlled crystal oscillator (VCXO) high-precision clock with a reference jitter value of 200 femto seconds. Femto clocks are commonly used in high-end audio systems, and the clock is measured in high-precision femtosecond units (one quadrillionth of a second).
What is VCXO?
A CVXO, or a voltage-controlled crystal oscillator, is a type of crystal oscillation device that creates oscillation frequencies. External environmental stimuli, which in this case mean voltage inputs, influence the frequency value. Adjustments to the voltage input tunes a precise frequency value.
What is Jitter
Jitter refers to the undesired deviation in time that occurs in a periodic signal. In this case, jitter is the error that occurs in the reference clock required to perform the sampling in digital audio equipment.
By utilizing a femto clock, the AK380 is able to create a more accurate frequency value and make fine jitter corrections. As a result, the AK380 faithfully reproduces analog sound closer than ever to the original source when transmitting a digital signal as an analog signal.
AK Connect App
Astell&Kern has further enhanced DLNA functionality via the AK Connect app. Wireless networking DLNA (version 1.0) connects to a NAS or PC, and is easily controlled with a smartphone or tablet through AK Connect. Source files on a PC or NAS can be freely transferred and streamed without the hassle of turning on the computer and physically connecting with a cable.
If on the same access point (AP) network, music files on a PC or NAS can be played back DLNA
Pressure-sensitive metal capacitive touch
The AK380 is the first Astell&Kern product to utilize a metal capacitive touch interface. The pressure-sensitive metal touch home button responds to fine pressure changes so users operate the device with just a light touch on the metallic pad.
More expandable options
The AK380 offers great expandable options through its micro USB connection and balanced out ports on the bottom of the unit.
The AK380's functionality is expandable by connecting to a variety of devices. You can increase the output and connect to a greater variety of high-impedance professional headphones through the upcoming AK380 Amp. The AK380 Cradle features balanced output in addition to USB data transfer and charging capabilities, and the AK380 CD-ROM drive rips audio CDs directly to the AK380.
|Name||Astell & Kern AK380|
|Sub Title||Portable High-Resolution Music Player|
|Manufacturer||Astell & Kern|
|Shipping Offer||AUTHORIZED DEALER - FULL WARRANTY - FREE SHIPPING|
- Material: Aircraft grade Duralumin
- Display: 4" WVGA (400 x 800) Touchscreen
- Supported audio formats: WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE (Normal, High, Fast), AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF
- Sample rate: PCM 8kHz ~ 384kHz (8/16/24/32bits per sample) / DSD Native - DSD64(1bit 2.8MHz), Stereo/DSD128(1bit 5.6Mhz), stereo
- Output level: Unbalance 2.2Vrms / Balance 2.3Vrms (Condition No Load)
- DAC: AKM AK4490 x2 (Dual DAC)
- Decoding: Support up to 32bit / 384kHz Bit to Bit Decoding
- Input: USB Micro-B input (for charging & data transfer (PC & MAC)) / Connection Mode : MTP (Media Device)
- Outputs: PHONES (3.5mm) / Optical Out (3.5mm) / Balanced Out (2.5mm, only 4-pole supported)
- Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n (2.4GHz)
- Bluetooth: V4.0 (A2DP, AVRCP)
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 4.42" x 3.14" x 0.7"
- Feature enhancements: Filmware upgrades supported (OTA)
- Frequency response: ±0.053dB (Condition: 20Hz~20kHz) Unbalance & Balance, ±0.56dB (Condition: 10Hz~70kHz) Unbalance / ±0.55dB (Condition: 10Hz~70kHz) Balance
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 116dB @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 117dB @ 1kHz, Balance
- Crosstalk: 130dB @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 135dB @ 1kHz, Balance
- THD+N: 0.0008% @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 0.0007% @ 1kHz, Balance
- IMD SMPTE: 0.0007% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Unbalance / 0.0006% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Balance
- Output Impedance: Balanced out 2.5mm (1ohm) / PHONES 3.5mm (2ohm)
- Clock jitter: 30ps(typ)
- Reference clock jitter: 200 Femto Seconds
- Capacity: 3,400mAh 3.7V Li-Polymer Battery
- Built in memory: 256GB
- External memory: micro SD (Max 128GB) x1
- Supported OS: Windows XP, Windows 7, 8 (32/64bit), MAC OS x 10.7 and up
- What's in the Box
- Leather case
- Warranty card