Crestron recently announced an app that will turn the iPad into a remote control that can communicate with a Crestron system in your home to control lighting, shades, room temperatures and more. While that’s interesting and very useful, it also reminded us that there are many apps out there than you can download to turn your iPhone, iTouch and (soon) iPad into remote controls. Here’s a look at what you can download from the App Store:
- My House UI for Control4: By downloading an application developed by Control UI to the iPhone or iPod Touch, then adding software to the Control4 system, you have the option to access the system from your iPhone or iPod Touch. You will have complete access to any aspect of the system, including security, lighting, temperature control, multi-room music, home theater control and more.
- Crestron Mobile and Crestron Control App: Crestron Mobile™ is an iPhone app that provides real-time global control and monitoring of lights, shades, HVAC and security. Operating on the 3G or Edge network, Crestron Mobile enables precise control from any remote location, even in the car, train, airport or the beach. Crestron Control App™ also communicates remotely on the cellular network, and locally via Wi-Fi, to deliver complete control of A/V devices and environmental systems.
- Sonos Controller for iPhone: a free application that turns your iPhone or iPod Touch into a full-fledged Sonos Controller. You can easily create a Sonos system using the iPhone or iPod Touch you already own and one or more ZonePlayers spread throughout your house. Just grab your iPhone, touch the screen to pick a room, point and flick to pick a song, and then hit play. It’s the simple, affordable way to create a multi-room sound system.
- DVR Remote is an iPhone application for managing your TiVo Series 3 DVR. You can remotely control the unit and browse your Now Playing information wirelessly on your iPhone.
- Intelliremote Client for iPhone/iPod Touch is a native iPhone application that allows control of your home theater PC running Windows. Since the iPhone uses a network connection, it does not need “line-of-sight” like traditional infrared remotes, so you can use it anywhere in or out of your house.
- i.TV: The only movie, DVD and TV guide you’ll ever need. Quickly find out when and where your favorite TV shows and movies are playing, anywhere in the U.S. and Canada. They recently integrated services from top brands such as TiVo, Netflix and MovieTickets.com to give you access to your media, your way. Use i.TV to buy movie tickets, rent DVDs and remotely program your TiVo DVR to record your favorite shows.
- Remote allows you to control the music on your computer or Apple TV from your iPod touch or iPhone. Play, pause, skip, shuffle. See your songs, playlists, and album art on your iPod touch or iPhone as if you were right in front of your computer. Remote works with your Wi-Fi network, so you can control playback from anywhere in and around your home.
- VUDU Movie Catalog application for iPhone and iPod touch allows you to browse and search through VUDU’s expansive movie catalog from anywhere an Internet connection is available. After finding something that suits your mood, rent or purchase the movie and it will be downloaded to your VUDU box.
- PlugPlayer is a simple way to use your existing UPnP™/DLNA® software and devices from your Apple iPhone or iPod Touch. With PlugPlayer’s advanced device configuration, you can stream music and video from remote servers or over VPN. You can also use PlugPlayer to help other media renderers discover your remote servers.
- Comcast has updated its mobile application for the iPhone and iPod Touch to enable customers to update their DVR settings remotely, including the ability to search and schedule new recordings, cancel recordings and sort TV listings by category.
Find the best products and services in home audio and video, as well as custom and professional installation, at ListenUp.